William Race is a linguist specialising in ancient Latin who works at New York University.
When Race's parent divorced, Race took his mother's side while his brother Marty aligned with their father. He never spoke to his father again and didn't go to his funeral, and became estranged from his older brother.
He was once a football player, which allowed him a partial scholarship. During his college years, he fell in love with Lauren O'Connor, but for a year she left to study elsewhere, though the two kept close contact. Race planned to propose to her when she returned, however she announced she had found someone else and was already married, stumping Race and deeply hurting him.
Eventually his qualifications allowed him a position at the New York University as a linguist.
One day, he is approached by a retired Col. Frank Nash, a physicist from DARPA, to translate a manuscript written in ancient Latin. Initially Race is reluctant because Nash only describes what is required from him on the most vaguest terms and does not appear to be interested in the alternatives Race gives him. Race is reluctant to join even when he hears that Marty was the one who suggested his name. What clinches it, is that when Nash mentions the names of the civilians who are going to be on the trip, one of them was Race's college sweetheart, Lauren, who left him many years ago. In a sudden impulse to see what she has done with herself, Race agrees to join the team.
A man who thinks himself nothing like a hero due to his bookish profession as a linguist, William Race has the potential to prove himself and several others wrong.
- Multilingualism: As a linguist, Race is a specialist in ancient Latin, particularly its medieval and classical dialects, being competent enough to qualify as a teacher in the New York University's Ancient Languages Department. In addition, Race is also able to read and speak French, German and Spanish.
- Expert Historian: To Be Added.
- Trained Marksman: Though not properly trained, because of his brother's enthusiasm for guns as they grew up and unofficial practice using them, Race has some degree of knowledge in the use of firearms.
- M-16: To Be Added.
- SIG-Sauer: To Be Added.
To Be Added: .
- Throat Microphone and Earpiece: To Be Added.
- J-7 Jet Pack: A prototype alternative to parachutes developed by DARPA and stolen by the Stormtroopers, Race took this believing it was body-armour. Only when he was falling to the ground did he realise what it was as the J-7's altimeter switch activated and saved his life.
- Like most of the other leading characters of Reilly's novels, Race has a defining physical feature; in his case, the triangular birth mark under his eye.