- "Jason Chaser, hover car racer. It's got a nice ring to it."
- —Scott Syracuse after meeting Jason
Jason Chaser is a young hover car racer, and the leader and driver of Team Argonaut.
Under unknown circumstances, Jason's birth parents died or abandoned him when he was extremely young, resulting in him being sent to an orphanage in Falls Creek. By the time he was four-years old, Jason became the closest companion of the younger orphan known as the Bug, who only liked being around Jason and would thrown tantrums if anyone else tried to handle him. When Henry and Martha Chaser decided to adopt Jason, the four-year old refused to leave without the Bug, and with the pleading from the orphanage staff, the Chasers decided to adopt the Bug as well.
Jason and the Bug proceeded to grown up on the Chaser farmland, occassionally helping their father with the workload. At age five, Jason and the Bug were taught by Henry how to drive hover carts.
Over the course of his life, Jason and the Bug were constantly mocked by Barnaby Becker, an older and richer boy, both for being adopted and being poorer than him.
When Jason was 10, he found the remains of an old Ferrari Pro F1 hover car in a local junkyard, and over four years repaired it with old and low-quality parts, enough for it to be capable of racing. Christening it the Argonaut, Jason and the Bug, who became his navigator, proceeded to participate in local races.
At age 14, Jason managed to come in the top three of his local division, allowing him to enter the Indo-Pacific Regional Championships.
Qualifying for the International Race SchoolEdit
Beginning Race SchoolEdit
The Sponsor's TournamentEdit
Participating in The Italian RunEdit
Recovery and Road to The New York ChallengerEdit
The New York MastersEdit
Jason is a determined young man, always willing to push himself to win the race. Despite his youth, he has proven time and time again that age is far less of a barrier in the racing world than previously thought. His dedication and care for his family and friends makes him worthy of becoming a great man, and a better racer than some.
- Expert Driver / Pilot: As seems to be standard practice for anyone wishing to learn how to drive a hover car, Jason is capable of piloting the aviation-type hover car. Despite his comparative youth to other racers-in-training, Jason is capable of performing aerial feats and maneuvers that in the present day are only known to pilots of fighter jets. Jason is also able to adapt to unconventional situations when driving, such as using thrusters for steering when his steering rudder was damaged.
- Expert Tactician: During his time as the driver and leader of Team Argonaut, Jason has repeatedly shown his skills as a strategist, being able to adapt to unusual situations and come up with counter-strategies to ensure his team's continued running. Jason is able to analyse previous races and notice his rivals' weak-points, and then come up with a strategy to beat them in the next race.
- Argonaut: Jason's personal hover car, which he built from scratch after finding the external shell of an old Ferrari Pro F1 racer and repairing it with an assortment of used and low-quality parts, enough for it to be operational and capable of racing. After joining Team Argonaut, Sally was able to improve the Argonaut's basic maintenance and performance. When racing under the Lombardi Team in the New York Masters, Lombardi has his pit crew completely work over the inner mechanics of the Argonaut to bring it to peak performance.
- Argonaut II: A Ferrari F-3000 belonging to the Lombardi Racing Team which Lombardi loaned to Jason in order to race in the Italian Run. As a brand new and state-of-the-art racing-class hover car, Jason had to practice for a few days before mastering it.
Other Equipment Edit
- Team Argonaut Racing Uniform: When Jason and the Bug started racing, they were forced to wear mismatched denim overalls and motorcycle helmets due to the fact that they could not afford new or matching gear. However, Martha was able to make a custom-design uniform for both of her sons, made from standard racing uniform material primarily in white colours with some blue parts on the glove and boots, and lined with silver trim. Henry was also able to provide Jason and Bug with new Shoei helmets that matched their team's new uniform.
- Pit Tarantula: To Be Added.
- Jason's first name, in conjunction with the name Argonaut, is a reference to the ancient Greek legend, Jason and the Argonauts.
- Unlike most of the other leading characters of Reilly's novels, Jason lacks a defining feature.
- Jason is also the second-youngest main protagonist of any of Reilly's novels.
- His birthday is mentioned to be on the 6th of August.